Recently I wrote a post about how I want to 'start prioritising self-love and self-care' and of course this hasn't happened over night although I have been working hard to try and achieve this.
Since I have embarked on this journey in prioritising more time to my self-love and self-care I realised that I was mainly focusing on being loving to myself physically but what about emotionally? I feel that I need to focus more on attending to myself through self-love emotionally as I feel I have been doing pretty well at practicing my self-care physically. This was when I realised that self-care and self-love are different things and both need to be put into practice for a healthier and happier life.
So how is self-love different from self-care?
Self-love includes self-care but self-care alone only attends to the physical which is why both together are vital. Self-love includes yourself as a whole person, your mind, body and spirit.
I have come up with 5 tips and advice to challenge myself to practice along side my previous tips on practicing self-care:
- Start each day by telling myself something positive. Whether that be complimenting myself on the way I look that day or how well i handled a situation. Telling yourself something positive really helps with building upon self-love and helping along the journey in learning to love yourself. This should also help get you smiling each day.
- Don't believe everything you think. Sometimes our inner critic can take over and stop us living life to the full by trying to keep us small and safe. Sometimes we shouldn't believe our own thoughts.
- Surround yourself with others who love and encourage you. Let others remind you of how amazing you are and this will sure boost your own self-love in beginning to love yourself.
- Stop comparisons. Don't compare yourself to others, you should only compare yourself to you.
- End toxic relationships!!! Anyone who makes you feel less than amazing is not worth being part of your life.
I have also recently picked up a few books to start reading in the hope to help me along my journey of focusing more on self-love and self-care I would love to share this journey with you. This is just the beginning for me but I'm sure there will be lots more to come.