Monday Mornings, the day most of us despise and dread. The day we lack passion and motivation. The day we slog through the day feeling sluggish. If you are feeling this then you are likely suffering a case of 'Monday Blues'. But what are 'Monday Blues' and how do we beat them and turn them into 'Monday Motivation'?.
'Monday Blues' describe negative emotions that many of us get at the beginning of our working week. Why do we suffer them? Well, think of Monday Blues as like a hangover of some sort, a hangover in this case of the weekend affliction. Many reasons can contribute to this 'Monday Blue Hangover' feeling for example; over the weekend we tend to mess up our internal body clock, the large emotional shift between Sunday and Monday and we can often over indulge over our weekends (too many cocktails!).
However we can turn these 'Monday Blues' into 'Monday Motivation' and its simple ... we simply have to learn to look forward to Monday's. Starting your week on a strong and positive note will no doubt ensure that the rest of your week is amazing!!!
Here's some tips on how you can beat those 'Monday Blues' and set yourself up for 'Monday Motivation':
- Identify the problem: Firstly and most importantly identify the problem as to why you experience those 'Monday Blues'. You may be used to dreading or hating Monday Mornings but this is not what you should have to live with. The problem for example could be that you are unhappy at work? This could possibly be simply resolved by solving the issue at work and continue or it could be more drastic and suggesting that it is time for a new job or even a career change. Not getting enough sleep could also be the identifying problem or many other aspects which make you dread Monday's.
- Unplug yourself for the weekend: This can be difficult, but it is very very important! You should try over your weekend or your days off to unplug yourself. Try not to check work emails or phone calls. Monday morning becomes more frustrating if you let Monday creep into your time off so that you feel that you didn't really have a weekend off at all.
- Wear something you love & dress for success: On that dull Monday morning, get into that wardrobe of yours and wear something you love. Whether it be a frilly frock, an old pair of ripped jeans or even your fave underwear! Make yourself feel amazing by dressing up in what you love, add some make up, or do your hair nice too if you want to treat yourself. Go on, dress up, perk up and show others that you are ready to be positive. Be the light and energy to make others have a better day, share your vibe and spirit to brighten the day around you for yourself and others. Dressing in something you love or dressing for success can help to build upon your confidence. When you look good, you feel good, its that simple and feeling good about yourself is part of the battle to fight those Monday Blues.
- Prepare for Monday in advance: This is a must, it helps combat anxiety of the Monday Morning. Get as much done on Friday afternoon before you start your weekend, especially the unpleasant tasks to make Monday morning feel and seem a little better. Also use Sunday evening to prepare for the next day, make and prepare lunches for the next day, get clothes ready and pack bags etc.
- Things to look forward to, make a list: We often spend a lot of time looking into the week ahead of us focusing on the things that we are not looking forward to. One thing that makes us hate Monday's is constantly thinking and talking about the difficult, challenging and tough tasks ahead of us that week. How about trying to turn that around, start making a habit of writing a list every Sunday of the positive and exiting things going on for you in the week ahead rather than a list of all the dreaded tasks. This can then make you feel in a more positive mood before Monday begins and is a powerful technique to crush those Monday Blues.
- Be inspired: Transform your Monday by surrounding yourself with sources of inspiration and motivation. Create an atmosphere for yourself as soon as you wake up which inspires you to feel good. Play some music you enjoy, light candles, wake earlier to spend more time making yourself look and feel good. Step into the new week feeling and looking 100% and take this positive atmosphere with you which you created when you leave the house and continue to be inspired. This is great for lifting your mood and you will for sure love Mondays in no time.
- Be Positive: Be a source of positive energy. Start your week with an "attitude of gratitude". Try not to be a complainer on Monday morning and in the same vein try not to listen to other people's Monday gripes as this can take away your positivity. Turn any negativity of Monday blues into positive, productive and excited Monday energy. If you can be a source of positivity not only will you make your Monday more enjoyable but your positive vibes will also influence others around you to have a more positive and enjoyable day.
- Make someone else happy: Making other people happy and doing nice things for others definitely can lift spirits and help lift your overall mood to make you feel more positive and motivated. Research from positive Psychology suggests that the best way to cheer yourself up and to make yourself in a better mood is to make someone else happy. Try it on Monday morning and see if it lifts your Monday Blues when you are able to put a smile on someone else's face.
- Get your Beauty sleep: Lack of sleep is most commonly associated with being the reason for those Monday Blues. Go to bed early on Sunday to get enough sleep so you wake up feeling well rested on Monday morning. Its also a good idea to wake a few minutes earlier on Monday morning so getting a good nights sleep will certainly help with you getting up earlier. Extra time in the morning can help make you feel more centred and in charge of your day, having more 'me time' in the morning instead of feeling like you are trapped in a time crunch can make the transition of 'Monday Blues' to 'Monday Motivation' a little easier for you.
- Have fun on Monday: finally, in order to kick those 'Monday Blues' out the window be sure to ensure you take it upon yourself to do things you enjoy on Monday. Try your best to keep your day fun and enjoyable to keep your levels of 'Monday Motivation' high.
I hope these tips help you to fight 'Monday Blues' so that you never have to dread a Monday morning again and can experience more 'Monday Motivation'.
Let me know your tips of how you manage to kick Monday Blues out the window and how you ensure you are Motivated for Monday's.
Until next time, bye for now,
Forever GiGi .xo.xo.